My favorite part of January is the feeling of renewal that comes with the promise of a new year. I see it as a fresh start with many possibilities. For me, it's a time to reflect on goals (both professional and personal) that I have set for the upcoming year. Some are grandiose dreams (dream big, right?) while others are more realistic and broken down into bite-size chunks.
Some of the goals I had set last year to accomplish by January were to work remotely (to be more mobile) and to move to Laguna Beach. As I write this, I am in fact in my new little studio in Laguna Beach, with a small, enchanting peek of the ocean to look at while I work!
I am here to say that writing down your goals and planning them out actually does work! Yay!!! I am a right-brain, creative artist-type and by no means a super-duper organized planning guru, but here are some things that seem to work for me...
1. Set goals (weekly, monthly and yearly): Write them down and break them down into manageable bite-size chunks.
2. Visualization: I am visual so this one comes natural! Visualize what you want and focus on it. An idea board is great for this too, whether you cut out images from a magazine or put one together on Pinterest.
3. Focus, determination and passion: For me, these all go together. I've wanted to be an artist my whole life and feel that it is what I was born to do. I love doing art every day and am obsessed by it. That is what motivates me. I am excited every single day to get to do what I love. It sounds cliché but it truly does not feel like work to me.
4. Consistency and discipline: Show up every day. Progress will happen when you put the time and energy into your dream. Make no mistake, it is work! It takes sacrifice and effort but you will see results. It's like planting seeds...opportunities will sprout up!
5. Be open and flexible: Set your intentions and plans (based on your dreams and desires) and know that things will constantly change. One step at a time and you can tweak and adjust as you go. Be open to new experiences and opportunities. When you find something you love and are passionate about, go after it! You can do this!